Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Device Abstinence

This last weekend I finally decided to knuckle down and get this assignment done.

I didn't tell anyone I was going to do it since I don't post to facebook often enough to consider myself "present" there. And I figured if there were any emergencies, family and friends could just call my wife and she could update me.

Initially I found myself reaching into my pocket to retrieve my phone every few minutes, and only remembered I had left it on my bedside table after a moment of panic (did I lose it?!...no I'm just a dummy.)

I found myself able to get more homework done without constantly checking my phone or using my laptop to watch youtube. I'm glad I wear a watch, so I didn't have to worry about the time, otherwise I would have been late to a few things.

Most of my Saturday and Sunday was spent at home working on homework and a few of my own projects. I felt pretty accomplished since I got so much done. Usually I look at the time I have and decide that there isn't enough to accomplish anything worthwhile, but without my phone I didn't really have much of an option so I actually got some stuff done.

Sunday evening I went to my parents for Easter dinner, it was nice to see my family and chat with them without the temptation to pull out my phone and read the news or look at some funny memes.

Thats pretty much it, real boring stuff. I got my phone back Monday, checked my emails, saw some new videos on youtube, read my webcomics. It was nice to get away from my devices and get some solid work done, but I'm pretty sure I'm already back in my old habits. Though I am still taking time to get my school work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment